We take a look at how the local stock market performed for the final week of the year.
SG Investor Hub Blog
Dear readers, now that the final trading day of Year 2017 is over, the next time investors trade on Singapore stocks markets, it will be the first trading day of Year 2018. Investors are searching for investment themes for Year 2018 and I believe they are busily looking at the many analyst reports doled out by financial analysts over the past week or so. Readers could read some of what I have compiled here .
Read more »
If you have not read the 3 earlier parts, read them HERE (PART 1), HERE (PART 2) and HERE (PART 3).
Although most of my investments have an emphasis on income, regular readers know that I also have some money in investments which would hopefully…
Singapore GDP, US employment and China PMI are some of the key events on next week’s calendar.
Sally Low is an ex-AIA insurance agent who has conned an Indonesia couple into buying a totally made-up policy that is supposedly worth USD5.06 million. She has been sentenced to prison for 8 years for her unscrupulous behaviour in 2016. However, it was only on 27 Dec 2017 that the Court ordered AIA to pay […]
Expenses report from bloggers are hardly exciting. I have been compiling this since 2014, so this year will be the 4th consecutive year that I been doing this. They say you should get your income up rather than prioritize optimizing your expenses. There is only so much you can optimize. Getting your income up, now […]
Every year, I do an annual review where I look back at the past year and write down what I did well, what I could have done better, and a couple of lessons to distill from the journey. I also take a look at my personal / professional goals that I set the year before, […]
- 2014: Saved $20,000
- 2015: Saved $30,000 and grew income
- 2016: Saved $40,000 and grew income, hit $100k in net worth at age 26 including CPF
1. Grow savings – ACHIEVED!
2. Increase net worth – ACHIEVED!
I had originally targeted to hit the momentous milestone by age 30, and even detailed out a plan on how to reach that goal here. Last November, I managed to reach $100k in net worth (cash + investments + CPF)…this year, my net worth has doubled to $200,000!
(How I calculate my net worth : liquid savings + investment portfolio + CPF)
How was this possible? I wondered the same, so upon digging deeper, I realised this was achieved through a combination of factors:
What I learnt from seeing my net worth double within a single year was that it gets easier over time, and the growth is truly exponential as long as you’re patient enough to let your seeds harvest. All the effort spent in the earlier years helped to allow compound interest to snowball, and all I had to do was to let the magic happen.
- Investing in a government-grade AAA bond (a.k.a. topping up my CPF + that of my parents. This is also why I count my CPF as part of my net worth, given my cash injections)
- Bank interest on my high-yield savings accounts
- Cashback from my credit cards and other tools
- Dividend payouts from stocks
- Capital gains on stock investments (2 of my bigger stock holdings doubled, which really helped boost the portfolio)
- Gains on cryptocurrencies (500% on Litecoin, 250% on Ethereum, 300% on Bitcoin and Cardano)
3. Improve investment performance – Somewhat ACHIEVED
4. Maximise returns on expenses – Somewhat ACHIEVED