BreadTalk Group Limited’s Bakery Business: 16 Numbers Investors Should Know
BreadTalk Group Limited (SGX:5DA) released its 2016 annual report in April this year.
BreadTalk’s business has three segments, namely, Bakery, Food atrium, and Restaurant. It is worth digging through the company’s latest annual report for insights on the current states and futures of the various segments. We will take a look at the Bakery business today.
Here are 16 key numbers on the Bakery segment that BreadTalk shared in its latest annual report:
1. The segment accounted for 50% of BreadTalk’s total revenue in 2016.
2. There are four brands under the bakery business, BreadTalk, Toast Box, Bread Society, and Thye Moh Chan. The latter two appear to be niche concepts.
3. At the end of 2016, BreadTalk had 394 Bakery outlets in China, the most among the countries where the company has a presence. Singapore was second with 123 Bakery outlets. Then came Thailand with 36 outlets, Hong Kong with 24 outlets, Malaysia with nine outlets, and Taiwan with three outlets. The rest of Asia had 273 Bakery outlets. In total, BreadTalk had 862 Bakery stores.
4. BreadTalk’s brands have made inroads into new countries. Myanmar opened its first BreadTalk bakery in Yangon back in March this year. Toast Box also made its first stand-alone appearance in Taiwan in June 2016.
5. BreadTalk’s latest invention, a bite-sized golden lava croissant, became a worldwide phenomenon. BreadTalk sold 1.7 million croissants in six weeks in Singapore. In all, BreadTalk sold a total of four million pieces of the croissant in just six countries (this includes Singapore) within six weeks of its launch.
I hope that investors found the information above helpful in understanding BreadTalk and maybe, a little amusing as well.