Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd May Disrupt Singapore’s Public Transportation Scene
On Monday, ST Kinetics signed a partnership agreement with Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA) to develop driverless buses.
ST Kinetics is the land transport and specialty vehicles division of the engineering conglomerate, Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd (SGX: S63). The partnership represents another effort by the Committee on Autonomous Road Transport for Singapore (CARTS) to spur the development and deployment of autonomous vehicles (AV) on Singapore’s roads.
Here are some of the highlights of the LTA-ST Kinetics partnership:
1. ST Kinetics is tasked to implement AV technologies on two 40-seater electric buses. The buses are expected to have a light full-aluminium body and chassis to enable low energy consumption. The buses will also be equipped with 4G and Wifi capability.
2. The buses will use a combination of technologies to enable autonomous driving. Satellite-based Global Positioning System (GPS) and sensors will be used to scan the surroundings and determine the position of the bus.
3. The test buses will also use vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure capabilities to communicate with other AVs and infrastructure.
4. Meanwhile, perception sensors will provide 2D and 3D maps of the buses’ surroundings for obstacle detection and avoidance.
5. The test buses are expected to have radars that can detect vehicles and pedestrians that are up to 200 meters ahead. Cameras will be used to detect obstacles and support the perception maps.
6. Additionally, the buses will also be tested in heavy rain conditions of up to 30 millimeters per hour.
The partnership between ST Kinetics and LTA could be another step towards a world of driverless vehicles for Singapore. It is possible that disruption of the land transport industry is still years away, but investors may want to keep tabs on such developments as they happen.