New Talk: Money Or Love?
Check out this NUSWhispers post from a girl who’s torn between two guys:
- Guy A: A rich gentleman who drives a BMW and wines and dines her at restaurants
- Guy B: Her boyfriend who’s serving his NS and prefers saving money
On the surface, it’s easy to judge the girl for even thinking of leaving her current boyfriend. How ungrateful! He’s doing his best to be responsible, save money now, and afford a BTO!
But if we dig a little deeper, maybe it’s not as straightforward as it seems. In fact, money plays a bigger role in our relationships than we’d like to admit. For example:
- What should you do when you and your partner have very different saving priorities?
- Should you spend on a lavish wedding (knowing that it’s important to your wife and family), or save up for more practical things like your future flat?
- When you’re married, does romance go out of the window because you have to save for kids and retirement? Are you prioritising money over love?
Man, these are tough decisions.
Here’s one of the best pieces of advice I’ve learnt in the past few years: Talk to someone who’s done it before. We do it when we’re considering a new job, a new investment, even a new phone – so why don’t we do it when it comes to the love of our life?
That’s why BIGScribe – a network of financial bloggers which I’m a part of – came up with a talk on Money & Love. Yours truly will be speaking, together with two of my favourite (married) bloggers: Chris from Tree of Prosperity and Thomas from 15HWW.
Chris is the financially free intellectual with two young kids who now spends his time pursuing a law degree and researching cryptocurrencies just because he can. Thomas is the maverick who rejected a high-paying government job to pursue a semi-retired lifestyle, where he works less hours than the rest of us while growing his net worth.
Yours truly is, well, newly married and happy.
Together, we’ll be covering topics like:
- How do you avoid potential financial pitfalls before you get married?
- How do you manage your money as a couple?
- How do you have enough money to travel together, save up for your kids, and still pursue your dreams?
Come check it out. You won’t be disappointed. Deets:
- Date/Time: 12 Jan 2017 (Thursday), 7.30pm – 9.30pm
- Location: Singapore Shopping Centre, 190 Clemenceau Avenue, #02-20A, Singapore 239924
- Price: $25 per person / $39 per couple (you don’t actually need to be a couple)
There are very limited spots (our last talk sold out in 48 hours), so don’t procrastinate.
See ya there!